Today, I'd like to shine a spotlight on Service Dogs by Warren Retrievers (SDWR), out of Madison, VA. Warren Retrievers provides service dogs for a variety of causes, and one of them is autism support. Autism support dogs have very specialized training, including:
- Ensuring deep and restful sleep
- Locating a missing child
- Increasing social interaction
- Preventing or deterring a wandering/eloping child
- Supporting/redirecting a child experiencing sensory issues
- Redirecting/distracting a child who is self-harming
You can find more information, or apply for an autism support service dog here. SDWR does not have any geographic limitations, and their clients are never required to travel or cover travel expenses. What a wonderful organization, doing a very, very wonderful things for kids on the spectrum!